Sunday, January 22, 2012

National Pie Day

 January 23rd has been designated as National Pie Day! I am all over that!

My favorite, quick to make pie.(It can be made from scratch scratch for those hardcore scratch bakers.  Just substitute jarred lemon curd for your favorite curd recipe, approximately 3 cups COLD whipping cream, whipped  with 2-4 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar until medium stiff (don't want them too sloppy nor too stiff but I tend to lean toward the stiffer side of medium than the softer side...but both ends of medium will work), and your favorite pie crust recipe.)


My Favorite Pie

1- 10 ounce jar lemon curd; divided
1- 8 ounce pkg. cream cheese; softened
1- 16 ounce container Cool Whip; divided
½ cup powdered sugar
1- deep dish pie shell; baked and cooled

In mixer bowl, add softened cream cheese and beat several minutes, until creamy.  Add powdered sugar and beat until well blended.  Add ½ of lemon curd and beat until well blended.  Scrape down sides of bowl and beat a bit more until all is thoroughly mixed.  Fold in ½ of the Cool Whip and set mixture aside.

To assemble: Spread remaining lemon curd evenly on bottom of baked pie shell.  Add the cream cheese mixture on top, and spread smooth.  Top with remaining Cool Whip.  Chill until ready to serve.

Notes:  If you like a tangier pie, add lemon zest to cream cheese mixture.
          If you’d prefer, use a smaller pie shell when assembling.  When done, mix the leftover components well and store in freezer (don’t forget to date and label-this is too good to let go to waste).  Thaw, re-stir and enjoy.
          (I make 2…one to serve and one to freeze.  Since I want lemon more than others in the house, I pre-slice the second one so I can remove a slice when I want, the rest remains frozen.  Round pie sized storage containers are perfect for this!)

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on this post?